Sunday, October 02, 2005

true friends

Is it me, or is it the older you get, the harder it is to make friends? And not just chit-chat walk around the block friends, I mean true, deep soul-reaching friends.

Getting to know people takes time.
And time is something that not many people have... at least so it has seemed in my experience.

Why aren't there e-Harmony's just for finding a best friend?

Two people very dear to me said some pretty beautiful and profound things this past month, and I'd like to share them now:

  • "that's what faith is: its being true in spite of circumstances" (speaking in regards to friendship) 9-5-05 my mother

  • "... I believe that friendship (or any kind of relationship) is not a bed of roses that is completely thorn free. If you search for that, you'll never find it. What you need to search for are those people who are willing to work together to pluck the thorns out when a thorn is found" 9-21-05 my friend marie

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I was contemplating this very topic over the weekend, what an odd coincidence. I was watching the show Everwood, and one of the characters made the comment.. 'its hard to make new best friends after a certain point in your life.. there is just so much they have missed' Needless to say, I agree with you 100%, and those quotes are beautiful

Sarah said...

An odd coincidence indeed. I really like that quote from Everwood, thanks for sharing. It has a lot of truth to it and touches on the way I feel...

Sarah said...

...just knowing someone is there...even when we don't speak the same language...is enough.

yes! I love this comment. so true. another one for the quote collection... thanks stephanie! <3