Monday, November 21, 2005

peeves

I am certain we all have our pet peeves and I am by no means any exception. For some reason, though, I've been thinking about them a lot these past few days (I've been unusually irritable)... and so I thought I'd honor them with a post dedicated to their randomness, absurdity, and annoyingness!

Now, most of these will revolve around the ones I love and live (or have lived) with, because they are the ones I am around all the time and honestly cannot help developing a few aversions to certain behaviors...

  • In the middle of the night it drives me crazy to hear our cat Madison grooming. She licks and makes this guttural throaty sound that just drives me up the wall! Sometimes a much louder noise (like a motorcycle driving down the street) would go unnoticed and not upset my sleep pattern - but Madison grooming? Oh no! Wakes me from my deepest slumber...
  • When my husband itches his crotch in front of me. Goodness - this one, as little as it is, gets to me soooo much.
  • My mom saying the word "also". She says it with a "t"... like: "alt-so". Argh. There is no "t" in also! Do you know when I started learning how to read and write the English language I actually spelled the damn word with a "t"!?!?
  • My dad sucking his teeth. This one is hard to explain... it is like he is trying to suck off debris from his teeth by extending his tongue over the chosen surface and making a suction noise... it is the most annoying thing in the world to me, and I just have to leave the room as quickly as possible.

And to finish off this 'peeve post' I would like to end it with a funny (and embarrassing) story. When I was 16, my parents made me get a job, so I found myself in an interview at Bob's Clothing Store in Milford, Connecticut. Among the many interview questions I was given, one of them was, "Do you have any pet peeves?" Now this sheltered, naive, and anti-social oddity known as myself did not know what a pet peeve was. Can you believe it? What an embarrassment. To save myself I pretended like he asked "Do you have any pets?" and I proceed to answer, "why, yes, I have two west highland terriers," to which the man interviewing me said, "No, pet peeves. Do you know what a pet peeve is?" Talk about feeling like an utter and total moron. And, of course, after he explained what the darn things were I still had no decent response.

3 comments:

klk said...

My parents are from Kentucky...so MOST of the words they said growing up TOTALLY embarrassed me, like WARSH the clothes and YA'LL come on over to play and things like that. I think I used to think people were talking about "pet peas" lol Didn't get it at ALL!

Duh! So, when ya comin' to apu? We wanna see ya!
xoxo,
Kristie/claridad

fineartist said...

Hahah, Sarah, this cracked me up. The crotch thing, yep it does me in too. I mean really, what's up with them, have they no shame.

Also, one of my step moms used to say someting, instead of something, it used to blow my mind. xxx, Lori

Sarah said...

post script: just thought of another one that really gets me - people who can't park in a goddam parking space. I mean, come on, how hard is it really? and even if you can't do it right the first time, well, back your stuff up and correct yourself!!

when I used to have an old beat-up car I used to looove parking next to people who we're all crooked and over the line... but parking PERFECTLY, right up against their car (but not touching) so that they'd have to get in through the passenger side *heheheeehee* I know. I'm evil.