Thursday, December 08, 2005

that's not a pocket

I was driving my friend Stephanie around the other day, seeing as she just had surgery on her foot. First we went to her podiatrist. Stephanie, being the nice person she is, let me come into the room with her so I could see her post-surgery foot, which I eagerly wanted to check out. During the appointment her podiatrist shared with us an intriguing yet perturbing story about his past experience of being a foreman on a jury, and the types of folks who, despite their questionable reasoning skills, have a say in someone else's fate. The podiatrist, obviously, had jury duty coming up and it was on his brain. All the while my almost 5 month old daughter L listened attentively - or not at all - perhaps considering taking up a living looking at feet.

Next stop: groceries. As I was driving us all to Safeway, out of nowhere during a traffic light, Stephanie studied the detail of the shirt I was wearing and noted, "That's cool; there's a pocket there," as she proceeded to unzip this 'pocket'. Being the occasionally delayed-minded person I can be, it occurred to me as she was unzipping what exactly she was unzipping.

SARAH: "Um... that's not a pocket Stephanie."
STEPH: "It's not?"
SARAH: "No, it's a special shirt with an easy-access panel for breastfeeding."
STEPH: "OH!!"

Insanely funny. Many jokes surely ensued with hardy belly laughter. I'd have to say that was the best laugh I've had in some time. And now, whenever I put on my zipper shirts, I'll still crack up thinking.... "Cool pocket!"

Ladies, if you want to get hit on, consider wearing a nursing top next time you go out!
Maybe, just maybe, a hot guy will unzip your 'pocket'!

6 comments:

UltimateWriter said...

Funny stuff. One heck of a fashion/sociological experiment. Well done.
--
In your vast (wink wink)spare time, feel free to leave a comment on the UltimateWriter.com Blog @ http://ultimatewriter.blogspot.com

Chekkit out!

fineartist said...

I loved this post, chicky. I didn't have those zipper shirts, as a result all of my shirts were totally stretched and mussed. It was well worth it though. Best feeling in the world, breast feeding. Love love love. Yes?

xxx, Lori

klk said...

That's pretty damn funny!
I never had those funky shirts though. Just went for the whole lift. Figured it would be the one time in my life I could show off my whole bazongas in public, lol!

Sarah said...

ah, fineartist, yes it is. it is the best feeling in the world.

and truthseeker! you exhibitionist! eagerly taking up the opportunity to flash the world with your funbags :o) you crack me up!

I have 2 of those special zippy shirts... I wear - and lift - regular shirts most of the time. I usually wear my special zippy ones when I know I'm going to be out for some time and might have to end up bf'ing in public... so I can do it somewhat discreetly. of course, with my now 5-month-old, nothing is as discreet as it used to be, seeing that she is so captivated by the world and everything going on around her now!

and those two teeth.... yikes!

fineartist said...

I remember those moments when the little one's attention is captured while they have a piece of you clamped in their mouth...twisting the head to see just what in the world is going on....yep they expose you and sometimes it smarts.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Note to all of us...do not go around unzipping our friends.
My daughter used to say..."I wanna go home..." when she wanted to nurse.
Don't worry. She was an early talker.
It was always very precious.