Tuesday, January 03, 2006

reminiscence

SELF PORTRAIT TUESDAY

I know this may seem a little weird at first, but yes, that is my head and my daughter's head. I took an old (1900s?) black and white photo and did a quick hack job cut & paste for this effect. This month's theme is Personal History...

I would love to know more about my family's history. I would particularly love seeing a pictorial history a long with the facts since I am such a visual person.

I suppose it is ironic that my grandfather "Pop" is a geneologist and I know very little. He did give me a binder full of stuff, once, but it was all stuff that he'd collected over the years about me: the person I don't need to know anything more about!


Next time I'm home back east I'm going to see what I can dig up and learn in the Mother Collection. I don't even have a picture of my great grandparents for crying out loud.

A big part of the reason Pop got into geneology was because he was orphaned at the age of 9 (as well as his eight siblings). He is a wonderful example of a man who worked hard for what he got out of life. Poppy celebrated his birthday last month. He was born December 8, 1911. He is one of the most amazing people I have ever known.

5 comments:

klk said...

That pic is SPOOKY! but cool!
Imagine living in such a cool time period! I collect old pictures and postcards from antique stores and write and imagine about the people in the pictures. I try and think about their lives and what they've been through. I especially love when I find a collection of cards between lovers...they're quite interesting!

Mar said...

My gramma has 15 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren and I have somehow become the "keeper of artifacts and photos" since I once expressed some interest in my ancestors.

It's kinda cool, but kinda scary to be "the one" with all the photos and stuff and have to try to keep it all safe and organized. (It's not. Oops)

But, wicked cool photo! I gotta jump on this self portrait bandwagon one of these days.

Rain said...

You always do an unusual self portrait, often including your daughter because she is such an extension of you at this age. Beautiful.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

I LOVE this concept.

(need to get back to the self portraits)

You're too funny.
You've also inspired me to get back into some geneology.
I'll try not to steal your idea next week.
:)
How's the weather out there?
Haven't flipped off any grandmas lately, have you?

fineartist said...

Flipped off grandmas....hahhahah.

Love the pic, it reminds me of those old tin type photos they take in the mall or at Silver dollar city/steal your dollar city, in Branson MO.

I've missed you girls, A LOT. xxx, Lori