Tuesday, May 23, 2006

fake



Originally uploaded by Spirited_Away.

This place,
Once more was underground.

So look,
And connect,
We're refusing to rust,
Healing has to begin,
In the past.

So don't fake this,
Don't fake this,
Don't fake this,
Don't!

I used to habitually listen, learn, explore and express with music. It is still a major passion of mine, but for some reason in the past couple years it has been dormant and I haven't been as devoted to this aspect of life that brings me so much enrichment. Sarah has inspired me to connect more with music in my life as of late. She will periodically post lyrics to music in her blog that she relates to some how at that time in some way. I find this practice inspiring and telling; a chance to peer into another facet of her life and experience and gain more understanding.

A short time ago she sent me a three-disc compilation comprised of all the music she has cited in her blog. It is incredible. An unforgetable and priceless gift.

Recently Sarah said something in a recent post about her journal being a fake. Fake is certainly not the right word. It's more complex than that. And I understand what she means...
"I don't know that fake is the right word, I think it is more like veiled truth. Some places, there is truth. Others, its fabrication. Saying its all fake isn't entirely accurate." I believe at times we all veil our truth. See the world through different filters. Sometimes I think it is even necessary to a degree. Other times I think, however, it can be problematic.

And while I'm quoting Sarah, I'd like to close with something she said some time ago, which is sort of along the same lines - but not quite - but entirely an excellent peice of insight/advice regardless:
"I think if you escape reality too much, your escape becomes your reality, and it's just counter-productive."

4 comments:

Teacher Laila Chris said...

I like when bloggers cite others...

embee said...

i think its the actors complex. we become a different person because we're afraid of really showing who we truly are. after a while of doing that, its becomes natural and we don't know truth from fiction about ourselves.

Jennifer said...

Hmmm. So when we veil the truth, are we being dishonest? If so, with whom, and is it okay? Is seeing something through a "filter" at all different than "fabrication?" Is productivity the most important consideration when it comes to addressing reality one way or another? A million more questions, but, you know, it's after my bed time again :-)

Sarah said...

so far as seeing the world through different filters, I think I meant some that are innate "protective" filters to emotionally shield us from what we are not capable of withstanding (ie seeing someone murdered infront of us) and other filters being our mere current emotional state.

filters are different from fabrication. fabrication is, I believe, an attempt to re-write reality to our own ________. can't think exactly what, but definitely revolving around self interest and/or self benefit and/or self protection... bottom line: self. unless you are mentally inhibited by involuntary cognitive filters.

productivity is important. growing, changing, evolving: is this our purpose? if so, productivity serves this purpose and is therefore necessary.

so far as veiling the truth vs. dishonesty.... still pondering that one. I think it largely plays off of the whole "filters" scenario I talked about above. but still pondering. :o)

greatly appreciate your honest insights and open challenges, zilla. you are a very welcome voice. a refreshing breath of fresh air. thank you.