Monday, November 03, 2008

people piss me off

Flickr Mail

Received 2 Nov 08, 2.25PM GMT+7

hi Sarah,

You have some really cute shots of your family and all the pumkin scenes. I love them all but of course cannot comment that much on one contact.

I was curious why I never see you making comments on my pics?

If we can't share the Flickr experience I don't understand what we are doing as contacts?

Have a Great Sunday,
Pam

Replied 2 Nov 08, 2.53PM GMT+7

Oh, Pam, I'm so sorry to have disappointed you in this way.

That is never my intention.

I have periods of active productivity and periods of latency in regards to my flickr-life. I hate to disappoint anyone, but raising two young children under the age of four, running a business, and having a life outside of flickr is truly an occupying pasttime.

I love your photography, as goes so many of my contacts, but I tend to take and not give back so far as looking and not commenting goes. Please know that I DO appreciate. More than words can tell. That is why I've added you as a contact. My problem resides in a need to express fully and perfectly my gratification, as opposed to simply and imperfectly leaving a note of recognition.

Please know I care and appreciate your work deeply .... I'm sorry I do not comment on every piece. I will make a note to change this behavior to you in particular as I do not wish to lose you as a contact.

Sincerely,
Sarah

Received 2 Nov 08, 3.03PM GMT+7

Hi Sarah,
Don't worry about it. I am not going to dump you as a contact. I understand life gets busy for us all. I just thought you should be made aware of the commenting or lack there of.

You need to find a balance in your posting. I did this same activity when I first joined Flickr. I understand the excitement can be overwhelming. But in reality no one can comment on every picture you post when we all have long contact lists. That is why most of my fellow contacts only post one or at the most two shots a day.

This way you have time to comment on all of your contacts at least once. That is what this is all about. Not only sharing your photos but showing your friends your appreciation by commenting and faving their photos too.

If you want to ever get into Explore my friend you can't achieve that by the amount of shots you post daily. I have nothing against the amount that is your call. But no one can comment on all of your shots it is just too overwhelming. We all have our lives outside Flickr. I do understand that totally!

Thanks for responding. I will keep you as my contact. No worries.

Take Care,
Pam

Replied 3 Nov 08, 6.41AM GMT+7

Dear Pam,

It is quite apparent to me that we have entirely different motives for our use of Flickr.

My primary objective is not comments, views, or making Explore. It is a nice added perk, but not my motivator.

I've been on Flickr since 2005. I use this service as a means of organizing all my photos. (If you take note I have a very strict tagging system.) So, unlike on my computer, I can enter a query as to what I am looking for, find it immediately (along with the file name) and then retrieve the original file on my computer.

Why am I telling you all this?
This is my first and foremost reason for using Flickr.

My secondmost reason would be being connected with friends, family, and meeting other people whose photography holds my interest.

And, unlike you, I do not feel obligated to comment. Sorry if this offends you, it is just the truth. Even my closest dear friends in real life know I enjoy their pictures, even if I don't leave comments, as well as vice-versa.

I find it troubling that you feel a need for me to conform to a certain use of Flickr. That I need to find a "balance" in my posting. I find it especially bothersome that you assume everyone using Flickr has a universal concern with making Explore.

I will be sure to mark you strictly as a "contact" as opposed to friend, as a means of cutting down on the "overwhelming amount of shots I post daily." When I mark someone as a friend, though, it is a sign of trust and affection. But now that I understand your motivations and purpose of using Flickr I will change that.

Hope you had a lovely weekend,
and even if I do not comment,
please know I am looking, watching, and enjoying your photography.

Otherwise I wouldn't have you as a contact.
And if you choose to remove me as your contact, I will not take offense.

Sincerely,
Sarah

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

:-)

Yeah, I'm not even renewing my "pro" account. Don't much care for Flickr-cliques or Flickr-politics. Don't like feeling obligated to "fave" insincerely so that someone who's "into it" can end up on "explore" or whatever.

Not that I mind faving my true faves :-)

I just want a handy holding-tank for my snapshots, and to see my friends' kids growing up, and their travel photos and home improvement projects and, you know, visiting Flickr's like when your girlfriends stops over for a cup of coffee in the morning after dropping her kids off at school, and she finally remembered to bring the pictures from the Christmas party or whatever, only it's way more convenient for everyone.

Pam could maybe stand to lighten up a bit, I think.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Just letting you know I was visiting while watching the numbers come in.

Rain said...

Oh dear lord! I hope you deleted her as a contact. She makes me uncomfortable. I loved your explaination for why you use flickr, my thoughts exactly.

Pappnase said...

Oh my god what is her problem?

Don´t worry Sarah, you are great at Flickr and your answers to her were very smart and nice .... you know what I mean.

Don´t let yourself get botherd by such people.

Where are enough people who love you.

Tina