It didn’t start off that way.
It actually started off very matter-of-factly, with fixing my son and husband’s lunch for the day, followed by cleaning the rabbit hutch, the cat’s litter box, and the dogs waste bucket in the backyard and taking the trash out.
Mid-morning I picked up my eldest for an orthodontist appointment. She’s twelve. It’s a tough age. Last time we were at her orthodontist, he had informed us that if she wanted to have the best possible outcome from braces, she would need to have teeth extracted.
My husband and I were supportive of this procedure, but my daughter was not.
Until this morning.
She teared up and started weeping after the appointment with talking with the technician and myself, saying she wants her smile to be ideal but she doesn’t want to go through the procedure. Understandably.
But she then she caught us both off guard: she acquiesced. The technician teared up seeing her all emotional over the decision. She said, you are going to be so grateful when you are older that you made this decision.
Just as the tech left, my eldest and I startled to something hot and wet in our laps. My youngest, two-and-a-half, had brought me my coffee cup. With hot coffee. Ugh! Nothing like an emotional moment to distract you from the antics of a toddler. He brought us back to reality immediately.
I’m proud of my oldest for deciding to go through with the procedure, even though it won’t be easy, for the greater outcome and long-term good.
It actually started off very matter-of-factly, with fixing my son and husband’s lunch for the day, followed by cleaning the rabbit hutch, the cat’s litter box, and the dogs waste bucket in the backyard and taking the trash out.
Mid-morning I picked up my eldest for an orthodontist appointment. She’s twelve. It’s a tough age. Last time we were at her orthodontist, he had informed us that if she wanted to have the best possible outcome from braces, she would need to have teeth extracted.
My husband and I were supportive of this procedure, but my daughter was not.
Until this morning.
She teared up and started weeping after the appointment with talking with the technician and myself, saying she wants her smile to be ideal but she doesn’t want to go through the procedure. Understandably.
But she then she caught us both off guard: she acquiesced. The technician teared up seeing her all emotional over the decision. She said, you are going to be so grateful when you are older that you made this decision.
Just as the tech left, my eldest and I startled to something hot and wet in our laps. My youngest, two-and-a-half, had brought me my coffee cup. With hot coffee. Ugh! Nothing like an emotional moment to distract you from the antics of a toddler. He brought us back to reality immediately.
I’m proud of my oldest for deciding to go through with the procedure, even though it won’t be easy, for the greater outcome and long-term good.
No comments:
Post a Comment