Tuesday, December 20, 2005

orna - mental

SELF PORTRAIT TUESDAY

'Tis the season for craziness. Is it just American culture, or are there other countries that get just as insane this time of year? Rushing, fussing, consuming... it really is incredible. I have known a handful of people whose personality actually changes this time of year. They turn into psychotic nasty people. It is like an illness that can only be cured by the passing of the holiday.

I was driving a few days ago, leaving a local market, and proceeding to make a left-hand turn in through a break in a divided-highway style street, and this old woman, who failed to cut her wheel sharply enough to execute her U-turn, almost hit me.

Then, to my utter shock and disbelief, she becomes infuriated with me, and clearly mouths a extremely vulgar obscenity! This woman, who looks like the most charming grandmother with gray hair and glasses, swearing like a drunken sailor! I was so shocked and offended that, without even thinking, I did something completely - and I mean completely out of character ... I gave her the finger and big flashy smile and laugh. I'm typically understanding, flexible and patient with other drivers. A little wave and a "it's okay" is my motto. Friendly. But being bombarded by a potty-mouthed senior brought out something in me that had no tolerance for such behavior. And you know what? IT FELT GOOD!

The SPT picture this week is an ornament my husband and I purchased the night of the charity ball we attended. It is the most expensive ornament we have ever gotten. It was a special occasion, though, and we helped a good cause by getting ourselves something special that we can hang on our tree every year and remember
that night by. My SPT portrait is also consistent with this month's challenge to work with reflective surfaces.

5 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Beautiful self portrait.
Splurging on things that last a lifetime is always allowed.

I hope it wasn't my grandmother cussing like a sailor at you! She is in your neck of the saguaros.
I don't think she wears her glasses when she's driving, however. So, whew!

Give a hug to that little angel for me! I'm so thankful for your warm spirit in my life right now. It is keeping me from being one of those insane holiday people.

Rain said...

great self portrait. I know what you mean about people acting crazy. I do almost all my christmas shopping online because I can't deal with it. Happy Holidays to you.

fineartist said...

So grandma did a high speed fly apart on you, and you flipped her off. just giving her back a little of what she was giving off. Sometimes we do snap right back at 'em, don't we? Maybe she wont be so quick in the future to go off on someone else.

I'm glad you didn't feel guilty afterwards. I usually do.

Sarah said...

ange - phew! I'm glad it wasn't your grandma... that would've been baaaad!

rain - good call with online shopping. I actually got the bulk of mine done before turkey day... but those last minute things always do us in...

lori - I didn't feel too guilty because it was just so utterly absurd to me. I couldn't fathom how someone could be soooo upset over such a dumb thing. it was more of a joke than a literal mean-spirited flipping-off. but...

that night I had a dream. I had a dream "grandma" followed me home. we got out of our cars, and she had a long wrapped christmas present under her arm. she seemed cordial, which I thought was strange after the given incident. then, like something out of some freak thriller flick, she shook the box and the box fell to the ground and exposed was a long rifle-like gun.

AHHHH!

that's the last time I flip someone off with a big flashy grin. my conscience can't handle it.

fineartist said...

Hehahahhah, you poor thing. I know what you mean though, yep.