Saturday, February 18, 2006

back in black

Woah. What a week it has been. Ever heard the phrase "When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"? Have I ever felt like that!

First off, our trip to Scottsdale was a pleasant temporary escape to a refreshingly different land. Lakes, golf clubs and a shoppers-heaven to name a few qualities. When Steven wasn't working we spent most of our time relaxing on the patio by the pool enjoying a guinness or strolling through the gorgeous hotel property. On one walk in particular, I saw many canadian geese all gathered in the grass by the lake, and it immediately reminded me of Seurat's Sunday Afternoon on the Island of Grande Jatte.... with a few exceptions, like if geese ruled the world.

We returned home on Valentine's Day (Tuesday) evening and I then went off to my evening grad class. Much to my #?@!*&#! dismay I was cited for a traffic violation. Okay... this was the scenario: Making a left hand turn during a special left hand turn-arrow. The arrow turns yellow. It was one of those awkward situations where if I stopped I'd end up inconveniently blocking the intersection, but if I went the light would turn red close to the end of my turn. I decided to go. Well, lucky me, a campus officer was right there and decided he didn't like my decision. Bastard. I swear... my first impression that he was a she, and second impression (when I got to meet this fine enforcer of the law) he looked barely a day over 16.

First off, life is so unfair. I have never gotten a warning in my life. Don't they ever give out warnings? *grumble* Secondly, this was my first ticket ever in the state of Arizona. I've will have lived here for 2 years this June. I was pissed. I came home that evening and said sarcastically to my husband, "Happy effin Valentine's Day - I got a ticket."

The next day (Wednesday morning) I typically go to Baby Boot Camp to work out. But I felt off. And I saw my husband had left his phone home and would be lost without it at work, so I decided to be the wonderful wife I am and bring it into him. Did that. He loved me, of course. And I headed on my way.

Well,
#?@!*&#! it all, I got pulled over again. Again. Two times in two days. WTF? For those of you who don't know, I have turned into the most overly-cautious and careful driver the more I have driven over the past couple of years. And especially since I've had my daughter. I drive my husband crazy because I flinch at the littlest things. I always go the speed limit. I freak out if there are erratic drivers around me. I am a cautious and diligent driver. Well, this time, this officer said he got me going 55 mph in a 40 zone with his radar gun. I'm sorry, but with all due respect, I have to disagree. I regularly go 60 mph on our local highway, and that is damned fast. I couldn't fathom I could have been going just 5 mph less than that on a city street. Are those radar guns ever wrong?

And, once again, do people ever get let go or given warnings? Well, not me, and still never one in my life. Somebody up there has it in for me. What did I do? And being a girl, I cried. And cried. And called my husband... And cried.

That night I had chills, vomiting and body aches. If it was stress, it was the most powerful physical manifestation of it I'd ever had.

The next day I learned it was not stress and that I had, in fact, caught a bug. L was unfortunately the one to prove that. Thursday night we were up all night with a tired, vomiting and sad little 7 month old girl. I felt so awful.

Friday Steven played hooky and we all slept just about all day, in between white rice and ginger ale.

What a week. And the title, back in black, is me saying that I am indeed back, but not in my best form, and figuratively in black. I long for an uneventful week. Pray for no more sickness, tickets, or other misfortune.

Now you share what was shitty about your week to make me feel better :o) ... just kidding... but if you really want to go ahead - I won't stop you!

8 comments:

Teacher Laila Chris said...

I hate driving!!! Ever since I got into a terrible car accident (2000), I avoid driving the most I can.

What a big bad #&*¨%¨(@% day!!!
Sorry for the inconveniences of your day.

Jennifer said...

You know what I think?

I think the universe would like you to do two little things for yourself:

1) slow down (not necessarily in the car, just your own personal pace) and notice something you may have been missing

2) stand up for yourself (Michigan law says you may not enter the intersection on yellow, but if you're already there, you proceed; you don't slam it into reverse or block traffic)

This means a morning or afternoon of inconvenience in front of the magistrate. Contest the citations. The odds are in your favor; police officers rarely show up in court.

Disregard my windbaggedness above, and just get well soon.

Believe, and your luck is changed!!!

Rain said...

I can't think of any worse thing that having a sick baby. And then when you are sick too. Awful and the tickets? What is that? I hope that your run of bad luck is over.

fineartist said...

I absolutely loved your comparison of the geese by the lake with Seurat's piece, Sunday Afternoon on the Island...

Girl you crack me up.

Sorry about the tickets honey, but Z is probably right, sometimes the universe speaks to us in odd ways. Just the universes way of hitting us with a brick.

I hope the baby is well and you too.

My week has really sucked balls too, I have old lady shingles, man they hurt too.

fineartist said...

How many times can I use the word too in one coment? Far too many.

Sarah said...

I hear ya Laila. Accidents are scary, scary things. I even get upset when I see "ghosts of accidents" - as I call them - on the highways (like skid marks, shattered glass, or mangled landscape). I hope you are okay after yours in 2000.

Good insight Zilla. I will take those hints from the universe and embrace them. I've never contested a ticket before... this could be a new and exciting adventure. (Working on keeping positive... and believing my luck is changed!)

Thanks Rain. I hope it's over too. I think it is. Somewhere I heard once that bad things come in threes. I think I've more than satisfied my three!

And Lori, the finest artist ever, thank you too for your comment on my comparison of Seurat's piece to those geese. I thought it was pretty cool too. Glad to hear it from you! And yes, did I get hit with a brick or what? Sorry to hear it's been a hell week for you, too... hope things turn around and get better for you soon, too. Too much crap in one's life at one time is definitely discouraging... and shingles? You poor thing! Get better!!

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Hey! Where the heck have I been???
Tickets definitely mean something else. It's disturbing to be in control of your own destiny one minute, then at the whim of someone else's subjective power tripping opinion the next. That conditioned response of getting pulled over = nothing good really adds a lot of stress.
Two in two days means they've had a quota meeting.
There is an incentive for them to pull people over, and it ain't safety. Otherwise, more effective means would be to randomly pull over drivers and hand out $50 gift certificates for driving safely. People would be excited to see a cop. "Oh, boy! It's my lucky day! I hope I get a free day at the spa this time!!"

**Are you feeling better?
I loved your Seurat revision, as well. If geese ruled the world, then I'd be in AZ right now? I say give 'em a shot. They've got good instincts.

fineartist said...

Sarah, did I mention that you crack me up

TOO?

Gaaa, I really should learn to express myself more articulately with letters.

I'm blaming the pain pills....