You are what you love, not what loves you. -Charlie KaufmanWhat a great reminder to stay focused on what we are passionate about rather than to seek the approval of others.
***
There is so much beauty in this world, and so much ... not. It's like fineartist put it, about the light and the dark.
I can't believe it has been five years already. I find it interesting to read others stories about where they were, what they were doing, and how they heard about what happened that morning. Just read Zilla's account. I could relate to her feeling of numbness and panic. I was in class that morning, and the professor brought up 'some kind of accident happened in New York" non-chalantly - she had heard second hand and none of us were yet aware of the severity of the situation.
Steven and I had just been in New York the day before and had driven home the night of September 10th.
I had just transferred to a real honest-to-goodness University, and after class was headed over to the English department to fill out some paperwork (I was originally an English major). I couldn't comprehend why the lady at the front desk in the Enlgish Department was so upset and reluctant to help me. She seemed extrememly out of sorts and worried about the well-being of a family member in the city.
Shortly thereafter the university was closed. Trickled-down reports of "planes" and "buildings" and accidents versus intentional acts circulated by word of mouth. I was confused. I was scared.
I got in my 1992 honda "Emily" and drove home. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper. I had that numb and panic feeling Zilla described as I tuned into the radio trying to make sense of what was happening.
***
So much trouble in the world
So much trouble in the world
Bless my eyes this morning
Jah sun is on the rise once again
The way earthly things are goin
Anything can happen.
You see men sailing on their ego trip,
Blast off on their spaceship,
Million miles from reality:
No care for you, no care for me.
So much trouble in the world;
So much trouble in the world.
All you got to do: give a little (give a little),
Give a little (give a little), give a little (give a little)!
One more time, ye-ah! (give a little) ye-ah! (give a little)
Ye-ah! (give a little) yeah!
So you think youve found the solution,
But its just another illusion!
(so before you check out this tide),
Dont leave another cornerstone
Standing there behind, eh-eh-eh-eh!
We've got to face the day;
(ooh) ooh-wee, come what may:
We the street people talkin,
Yeah, we the people strugglin.
Now they sitting on a time bomb;
Now I know the time has come:
What goes on up is coming on down,
Goes around and comes around.
So much trouble in the world.
***
The picture above is a picture I took this past weekend. We went hiking in Madera Canyon, an hour south of Tucson. It was gorgeous there. One of the beautiful things we saw during our time there was this butterfly called the California Sister. And speaking of California Sisters, I just want to send my love and prayers to truthseeker on her journey. Stay strong; you are loved.
4 comments:
Give a little, yeah!
Thankful for the butterfly today, Sarah, so gentle and light.
Wow, what a beautiful post.
I used that same song as music to a short film I made about human rights.
Have I told you I'm crazy about you lately?
Well I am, I'm crazy 'bout Sarah!!! xx, Lori
I'm crazy about you, too.
Post a Comment