Thursday, January 11, 2007

entrusted secret

A phone call.
A confession.
Love and trust.
Guilt and shame.
Admittance.
A secret.

My mother just called and she is in a menacing place right now. I think I've been somewhere near there, but insistently do not attempt to liken my struggles with hers; we all fight our own unique battles. I can empathize well, but refuse to venture that I know what she's going through.

Why me?

Why trust me with her secret? Her embarrassment? Her failing?
Perhaps I am regarded higher than I thought.
Or perhaps I am regarded lower than I thought.
Or perhaps her disclosure has no bearing on how I'm regarded and the only pertinent factor is that I, alone, am her daughter.

Of course she made brief reference to my own personal failings in the past, which she has paid witness to. This may be a strong indicator that she feels I am someone who can relate to her own failings as more than a daughter but as a person.

There were times I wondered if it would ever reach a problematic breaking point.
If she would ever even see that there was a problem. I questioned if there even existed a quandary or if I was the one deceived and overreactional.

Lo, denial is a powerful thing, and sometimes it takes an unfortunate course of events to become aware of the trouble that plagues oneself.

I only hope lessons will be learned and reformation will take place. I've been hoping and praying for that for a long time, now. Her problems - hell, my whole family's problems - have always been my problems and it's a burden I've grown weary of bearing.

I love them all deeply.

8 comments:

Firefly said...

She seems ready to change and reform, or atleast let her burdens to rest. Here's hoping that this is the first step in giving you peace from worrying about your family.

beckyboop said...

I can truly relate to your post. My family...so many problems... I understand.

Becky

Jennifer said...

Ditto Becky.

Jennifer said...

PS: I hope you'll post when labor starts -- we'll all be so excited!

ron st.amant said...

I think you know I'm feeling your pain...not the pregnancy pain though...

just can't wait to see this little new bubba

Rain said...

I like how you ended your post.

I sometimes have trouble getting there. I am still angry.

I wish all the best for your mom in her struggles and for you in being involved as you are.

I hope it doesn't add to any worries on your mind now.

You deserve to rest and relax. You are going to be a busy mom of two soon :)

Holly said...

Thank you, Sarah, for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I'm feeling lots better, and I hope you are too.

Also, I think maybe you and I might be related. Our families sound much the same, anyway.

fineartist said...

I'm thinking...thanks a lot mom, for dumping that sh*t on me now. But only because in my family I sometimes have to examine motives, not with my Becky though, and of course I don't really know what she told you...

I'm thinking, did she tell me to hurt me? Because I sense that it did hurt, but in a kind of relief sort of way, and then, well, then it wasn't to hurt, so okay...

Is she telling me because she needs me? We all need others don't we? Yep, she needs you...and knows that you will love her no matter what...

Is she telling me because we have slipped over from a mother daughter thing to a mother, daughter, friend thing? Which really isn't so bad, but kind a weird, but good too...

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you and your momma, and prayers too, who doesn't need a good prayer or two?

Oh Sarah you are so wise, kind, loving, your momma she's lucky.

love you