Friday, August 31, 2007

chitty-chitty bang-bang

How impulsive am I?

I did it. I chopped some bangs. But not straight-across-the-forehead bangs. Z-would-be-proud-face-framing-bangs. Not too chunky. But not just wussy I-haven't-got-the-guts-wisps, either. And Holly - I LOVED that webpage. It was just what I needed for reference.

Updated for Lori - Pictures immediately after the act and then a picture of the final "look" ...


And I have no regrets, other than I wish I had done it sooner. Do you realize I'd been contemplating this since right before L was born? My mom was staying with us at the time and had dissuaded me from doing anything new or different right before the baby came. So it intimidated me into not doing it indefinitely.

So....

What else?

Feels like my plate has been pretty full this past month. And heck, it has. Our much-needed vacation was so wonderful. I'm thankful for tax-returns and an extra week in August lending an extra paycheck to make it all work. I'm posting about a dozen pictures a day to my flickr account of our ventures.

A week before we went away my BLP hit me with some pretty hard news. It was hard to leave her to go on vacation. She's really going through a rough time right now. So keep her in your prayers, if prayers are what you do. I'm worried about her keeping it together and being okay.

The gist of it goes like this: my thirty-two year old buddy has been dating a guy who has potential but ..... well, let's just leave it at that. (Insert Marge-like groan.) They've been together for I think about six months. He's been divorced for a year. I thought they were splitting up several times but lo and behold every next time I'd talk to her I'd find out they were still seeing each other.

Last month she was late. Yep, that kind of late. But she had an IUD and was in her thirties so come on; the odds were in her favor.

Or maybe not.

So now she's in a really difficult situation. The guy immediately cried do-over (just abort the pregnancy) but it's just not that easy. Maybe when your sixteen or eighteen you might entertain the option of aborting, but when you're older it's an entirely different decision. And that much harder. She had her IUD removed and so far the pregnancy is viable.

This is not how she imagined bring a child into the world. She wanted to be married. To be able to stay home and raise the child. Now she is being forced to let go of these dreams and make new decisions based on her circumstances.

And on top of dealing with all of this, she's dealing with the physical woes of the first trimester. It's hard enough being pregnant when you have stable and planned circumstances.


I wish I knew what I could do to help aside from listening, offering support and assurance. I wish I could do more. I just want to fix it all for her.


8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Blessings on your BLP. So glad the IUD was safely removed. So glad she has a friend like you to support her through a less than ideal, yet perfectly celebration-worthy time.

All babies are little miracles.

Everything will fall into place.

ron st.amant said...

I hope everything works out for your friend..and with you on the case I'm sure there's plenty of support.

I wish I had bangs :(

I wish I had any hairline at all...

fineartist said...

I want to see your bangs!

Jennifer said...

Hey! You look MARVELOUS!

Jennifer said...

PS: You got your figure back too, you astonishingly fabulous vision of sveltness! You rock, sister!

fineartist said...

Your bangs are cute as hell! xx

Holly said...

Your bangs are scrumpious, and I'm glad the website was a help to you. :)

I feel the pain on your friends situation. I would just recommend reasurring her that this baby happened for a reason, and there is help out there for single moms. She can do it, and she's very lucky to have a friend like you to help her through it. :)

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

You rock star.

You can come live here any time, and I'd surely trust you with my crazy hair.

As for your friend, pisses me off about the IUD. When I was pregnant with Pickles, the clinic kept pushing IUDs at me. "What method of birth control do you plan to use after the baby?"

(Sex? Are you kidding? AFTER the baby? Are we talking months after, or two days after? Who really has sex the day they've gotten the all clear? Don't answer that. It'll just make Tom feel cheated.)

"Condoms," I said.
They gave me a look. A look like, 'How drool.' Condoms? So unreliable, wot. THEY ARE NOT! They're only unreliable when one person says to the other person, "But it feels better without."
Two times sans condoms.
How many kids I got?
I hate birth control for women. Pills morphed my hormones into a different person, gave me blisters, forced my metabolism to say, 'bye-bye' even after the mornings spent dry heaving.

They offered me a lower dosage. I said, 'Nope. No thanks. Did that yo-yo game. Two times is enough.'
They offered me the shot...the needle in the arm...and then the stupid IUD which, as the nurse walked me out to the door said, "I'm wearing mine right now. It's great!"
Back off, bitch!
I'm more convinced now than ever that I'm grateful for not having one put in.

As for your friend, I have one or two friends who would embrace this happy accident...Sucks that the guy said what he said, and would probably change his mind after all the work and worry had finally gotten to a happy 'this is kinda cool,' place. If I had a third, it'd have to be an accident, and I'd be glad for it, because making the choice to have a baby was always such a difficult 'no turning back, life time commitment,' for me, but those nine months help the mind figure it all out.
Most of us were accidents, right?

I will hope for some inner peace for her, whatever she decides.
She has an excellent friend in you.