this blog is a place I post what is going on in my life if and when I get around to it. it serves no particular purpose other than to capture and collect my thoughts and ideas.
prep time: 10 mins plus 1 hr to chill | cooking time: | makes 4 servings
Ingredients 1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed 1/2 cucumber, diced very very fine (about 3/4 cup) 1/4 cup red onion chopped very very fine (abut 1/4 of a medium red onion) 2 tsp apple cider vinegar 1/4 cup vegan mayonaisse 1/2 teaspoon salt handful fresh dill, chopped
Directions Crumble tofu, add cucumber, and onion and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a firm spatula. Let chill for at least an hour. Serve on your favorite grainy bread or pitas with colorful lettuces, sprouts and tomatoes.
Seriously. I ate it on a dare on sample day at the co-op, and I FELL IN LOVE with it!
we've been doing the free-range turkeys since 2004. I have to be a little more careful about the skin drying out and getting that hard burnt texture. I will so definitely try that recipe above. I'm excited :-) new recipes are fun.
Sarah, how are you doing those free range birds? I might have some helpful advice...
If you jack the oven up to 500, then put the turkey in (quickly, so as not to loose your heat!), and set the timer for 15 minutes, the seering should lock the juices in and eliminate the need for basting. After 15 minutes, you can dial down to 325 and relax until it's time to get your side dishes going.
I think repeated basting lets a lot of moisture out of the oven, and therefore cancels itself out. Thermometer placement is important, too -- up-top, to minimize leaks.
I know you don't like to eat a lot of animal protein, but you could roast a couple of free range chickens over the course of the year comparing methods, and decide if this method might help with the holiday bird.
8 comments:
Dilly Tofu Salad
prep time: 10 mins plus 1 hr to chill | cooking time: | makes 4 servings
Ingredients
1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed
1/2 cucumber, diced very very fine (about 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup red onion chopped very very fine (abut 1/4 of a medium red onion)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegan mayonaisse
1/2 teaspoon salt
handful fresh dill, chopped
Directions
Crumble tofu, add cucumber, and onion and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a firm spatula. Let chill for at least an hour. Serve on your favorite grainy bread or pitas with colorful lettuces, sprouts and tomatoes.
Seriously. I ate it on a dare on sample day at the co-op, and I FELL IN LOVE with it!
PS: I will find a happy, free-range turkey for Thanksgiving, I promise, and I will appreciate its sacrifice.
Squiggle-word: Mange!
we've been doing the free-range turkeys since 2004. I have to be a little more careful about the skin drying out and getting that hard burnt texture. I will so definitely try that recipe above. I'm excited :-) new recipes are fun.
Thanks for that sarah.
I´m a vegetarian for about 8 years now ( with sometimes a little exception on chrismas)
Georgi eats meat, but very rarely since he is with me.
We only buy free-range eggs.
I wish more people would eat meat with more brain.
thank you
XO
Tina
http://www.eve80.wordpress.com
This is as educational as EARTHLINGS we get to see at Google.
Few! Just had a panic attack because your blog didn't pop up on your profile.
Don't do that to me!
Even though, I don't think you knew about it.
Sending you a box soon, so are you still living in the same spot?
yes, same spot.
I, too, need to get my tail to the post office.
working on shaking this cold first.
Sarah, how are you doing those free range birds? I might have some helpful advice...
If you jack the oven up to 500, then put the turkey in (quickly, so as not to loose your heat!), and set the timer for 15 minutes, the seering should lock the juices in and eliminate the need for basting. After 15 minutes, you can dial down to 325 and relax until it's time to get your side dishes going.
I think repeated basting lets a lot of moisture out of the oven, and therefore cancels itself out. Thermometer placement is important, too -- up-top, to minimize leaks.
I know you don't like to eat a lot of animal protein, but you could roast a couple of free range chickens over the course of the year comparing methods, and decide if this method might help with the holiday bird.
Just a thought.
Post a Comment