the snow came back
my chocolate is gone
and I was up
almost all night long
I laid with my youngest
soothing him to sleep
and I fell as well
into an accidental sleep
my chocolate is gone
and I was up
almost all night long
I laid with my youngest
soothing him to sleep
and I fell as well
into an accidental sleep
glasses still on,
I awoke suddenly
realizing I the sandman
had caught him and me
I peeled myself gently
out of my son's grasp
and went to spend time
with my husband at last
I also got chocolate,
and a cup of tea,
and he and I laid
and watched some tv
we embraced: warmth.
connection. undisturbed.
while dark chocolate melted
and snow covered the world
I awoke suddenly
realizing I the sandman
had caught him and me
I peeled myself gently
out of my son's grasp
and went to spend time
with my husband at last
I also got chocolate,
and a cup of tea,
and he and I laid
and watched some tv
we embraced: warmth.
connection. undisturbed.
while dark chocolate melted
and snow covered the world
we turned out the light
all darkness and sighs
and still I lay awake
with wide open eyes
time became indeterminable
in the darkness of the night
in the quietness of the snowfall
in the vigilance of my mind
I tiptoed downstairs —
more than once I admit —
and had some more chocolate
and read a little bit
all darkness and sighs
and still I lay awake
with wide open eyes
time became indeterminable
in the darkness of the night
in the quietness of the snowfall
in the vigilance of my mind
I tiptoed downstairs —
more than once I admit —
and had some more chocolate
and read a little bit
the cries of my youngest
brought me back to the bed
and with hope I laid down
my sleep-weary head
brought me back to the bed
and with hope I laid down
my sleep-weary head
eyes open, eye closed
on my stomach, on my side
one blanket, three blankets
oh, how I tried
on my stomach, on my side
one blanket, three blankets
oh, how I tried
eventually, exasperated,
I checked on the time
I don't know how it happened
it was two forty-nine
I checked on the time
I don't know how it happened
it was two forty-nine
sometime after four, at last
the sandman came again
after exhaustion won the battle
inside my torpid head
and so, when I awokethe sandman came again
after exhaustion won the battle
inside my torpid head
I noted the snow was back
and my chocolate was gone
and, most of all, I needed a nap.

No comments:
Post a Comment