We have a special portion of our budget that goes towards vacations. Unfortunately since we live about 2,500 miles away from the vast majority of our family, we need to use a good chunk of that budget each year to pay for a visit that way.
This year things are going to be a little bit different, though. One reason is our tax return. We decided we wanted to do a real all-out vacation in addition to the trip back east to visit relatives. And we have a little extra money to make it work.
Sure, we could pay off credit card debt, but why start now? Anyway, Steven is in dire need of a real vacation.
Another factor helping contribute to our ability to take a real vacation is the fact that we're sucking it up and doing a red-eye on Jet Blue to and from JFK to save money. We'll be saving about $400 buckaroons total!
Plus, once I saw this, I was very excited about flying Jet Blue. (FYI: I'm a big fan of D'n'D coffee and Steven gets plain giddy over Terra Blues; a match made in heaven. This was apparently meant to be.)
So what's our vacation plan?
Well, after our couple-week visit back east to visit family in July, we'll be running away for our fifth anniversary in late August.
We're going to drive to California. We'll do a day in Disney Land and then make our way up to San Diego to stay at a ridiculously beautiful resort by the bay and enjoy ourselves at Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, and dipping our feet in the sea. Oh! And the resort has SEALS on property! I LOVE SEALS!!
Which actually just reminded me of something incredibly important...
A couple weekends ago we were driving around doing errands. At one point we were behind an early-90s model Jeep Wrangler and on the back window was a sticker that said: CLUB SANDWICHES, NOT SEALS, to which I turned to Steven and said, "I don't get it. Why would anyone club seals?"
He gave me that look.
That I don't want to tell you; you don't want to know look.
Needless to say, I learned something that I was devastated to know, and I now I can't consciously not do anything. And if you care too, please help in some way - any way you can.
6 comments:
I signed the Pledge. I've been aware of this for a long time. I started shaking when I clicked on that site because it makes me so angry. Any cruelty to animals makes me livid.
Your vaca sounds like heaven.
Oh Sweetie peety pie I am so thrilled for you and your man.
We only live once as far as I know, and man oh man, enjoy the ride/trip/and vacation.
I've been missing you, but I haven't been fit to write much, oh heck you know I'm crazy crazy about you. Love, Lori/ blog nana
"Why start now?" Hey, that's MY motto. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Sure wish we could join you!
So much so, I put an SOS T-shirt on my Disney credit card.
Here's hoping they don't really mean it when they say a medium is size 4-6.
You're going to Disneyland! Woowoo! I've always wanted to go. Driving there will be quite the adventure. It will be so cool to have seals where you are staying. Seals and dolphins rock. I love 'em too. Have fun!!
XXOO, Becky :)
San Diego, My home town!!! We will be visiting soon as well. I would love to meet you.
My new blog addy is:
htt://surfmama35.blogspot.com/
long story, but in short, I MISS YOU!
Post a Comment