Sunday, March 02, 2008

books, movies and hypocrisy

This post's title's components are not necessarily related.

I was commenting over at Ange's blog in close-to-spam-like-proportions the other day after she scared me into believing that Hermione was going to die. And, yes, I do care more about the elections, but I was very upset to have been exposed to the preceding spoiler.

No worries. Things have since been clarified and I am aware that Hermione will be just fine. Or, at least, alive.

And now, you see, I feel the need to explain myself. (Which I frequently do. An insecurity thing I'm guessing.)

So far as books go, and movies that are made into books, I like to do the opposite of what most people like to do. Most people like to read the book and then see the movie.

This is usually always a very disappointing experience for me.

Therefore, a few years ago, I made up my mind that in every possible case I was able to, I'd opt to see the movie first, then read then book.

How this usually ends up panning out is 1) I am impressed and surprised and enjoy the movie 2) I am impressed and surprised and enjoy the book 3) I watch the movie again and I'm let down a little... or a lot.

Pefect example is Girl With A Pearl Earring. LOVED the movie. Read the book and LOVED the book. Saw the movie again and was SO disappointed.

Why am I telling you all this?

Because I wanted to let you know that I am watching all the Harry Potter movies first so I can enjoy them for what they are. Then I will be reading the series of books. Okay? Okay. And that's why I was freaked out about Hermione: because I haven't read any of the books.

Lastly: Hypocrisy.

I just blogged the other day about running; about how I would never let myself become so obsessed with it that I'd do ten miles a day. That I set a limit on myself about how many miles and what days of the week I would allow myself to run.

Last night I realized I was a hypocrite, as after tucking the kids into bed I laced my running shoes on. It was Saturday - the weekend - something I had just blogged that I didn't and wouldn't do. Period.

And guess what? I ran a little short of a 5K.... tsk, tsk, something else I said I wouldn't do. Well, I said 3 miles max, maybe, sometimes.

But I've realized a couple of things. Back when I ran so far, so long, every night - a compulsion that was both healthy and unhealthy in some ways - I was a different person. I was struggling for control in my life and in my self. And I am not that person, or at least, not to that degree, any more.

Not to mention, I don't think I could accommodate a running habit like that anymore with the life I have now.

So...

I did 2.99 miles last night in about 27 minutes. A 5K is about 3.1 miles. I suprised myself. And it felt damn good. I missed running. Thanks for inspiring me Ange and I apologize for my hypocrisy.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

So maybe you misspoke a wee bit. We forgive you, even if you don't forgive yourself.

"Positive Addiction" was a favorite book in high school. Have you read it?

It was never made into a movie.

You run, girl.

fineartist said...

I used to walk two miles a day on the week days, this was eleven years ago, and I had been doing it faithfully for at least ten years, then I started walking three miles a day and I couldn't keep up with it so I stopped.

For me, I have to shoot for something I will stay with and two miles is pretty okay, I can justify the time given to it because it's healthy and relieves stress too.

What ever works for you hon, you go with.

xx

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Sorry to put you into a panic. It's exactly how I felt when I read it accidentally off the internet.
So we shared that emotion, and I feel closer to you now.

As for the running, you're forgiven. I started running to gain control, as well. Relief from all the stress. People thought I was obsessing about weight, but it was all about failure to communicate things others hadn't gone through. And I was tired of always taking my frustration out on Tom.

Having trouble getting going this month, but I will today. I noticed I was crankier the last two days without it.
It's my anti-depressant.
But like Lori, I have my limits. I don't think I'm a race person, and I should start pushing my speed, but I've been pretty content just getting myself convinced to do anything.
I'm glad you're joining us. It will keep me motivated.