Tuesday, December 12, 2006

a labor of love

No, this post is not childbirth oriented.

But there was pain involved.

This is the first self portrait tuesday I've done in quite some time.

I finally got around to finishing the stained-glass mirror I've been working on for my husband as a Christmas present. Of course, as you can see, it wasn't without consequence. I figured my bloody battle wounds were on par with this month's self portrait challenge: red.

Some art just isn't appropriate for the mentally challenged. (Cruel joke aimed at me.) But seriously, I'm a bit klutzy when it comes to anything that isn't drawing, painting, or graphic-designing.

And to think they allowed me to use a torch in metalsmithing!! The university I attended must have had good insurance.

Well, it is done, and I am pleased. Considering I am very out of practice with stained glass, and seeing as I was never really phenomenal in practice, the results were more than I could ask for. Now it's on to grouting. Good gooey fun!

1 comment:

klk said...

What a wonderful gift to give him, and the blood part, well that makes it that much more sacrificial and organic. (ouch!)
Back to our conversation...yes, I love documentaries and non-fiction books. The Wal Mart film was a bit dissapointing as it didn't quite cut to the core as much as I would have liked. It was too objective in my eyes. BUT, definitely worth a viewing. I don't think I will be able to pull together a secret santa gift this season due to the fact that I still three scarves to knit, four necklaces to make and other odds and ends. BUT, maybe next year. I also like gift exchanges throughout the year. I think gift giving should be an ongoing process, something sacred and stirred by the spirit. Something about the holiday guilt of giving gifts to relatives you feel frustrated with is an odd thing to me. I prefer to give when I feel great love for them. It waxes and wanes. I'm sure you understand this! I highly recomment the Hannukah experience. It is enlightening and fun for the kids. They seem to get more excited about lighting the candles than they do about the christmas tree. I like that. It makes me happy.
xoxo, and love to you today S! No more cutting your fingers!!! (that's an order!) And for the record I am clumsy as hell and you should have seen my results at cutting a tin Frida Kahlo ofrenda. Dios Mio!