Monday, December 11, 2006

what a weekend

For a couple who has an average of zero parties to attend per weekend, two parties in a weekend made for quite the eventful time!

We got to attend the charity ball again this year, a night of fun designed to raise money for children's charity. It is an amazing event. We attended our first time last year and I was simply awestruck by the caliber of the event.


We have Steven's job to thank for being privilege to attend such an affair; tables at the charity go for $10,000 a piece. I imagine that helps you to get an idea for the degree of this affair. It is in many ways a fairytale-like experience for me, almost like a night out taking part in what the red carpet lifestyle must be like. Somewhat surreal.


And I thought these sort of perks only came through employment by private universities. Well, let me say, state schools are okay by me :o)

We had a lovely time. I enjoy people-watching the most. The elaborate jewelry and dresses, plastic surgery and botox, and things of the like. It is quite a spectacle :o)

My good friend watched L for us during our Saturday night out on the town. She slept over (we got home at 11:30 p.m.) and enjoyed breakfast together the next morning. What a treat!

After breakfast we got ready for a holiday open house at the dean's home. Once again we left L with a friend, our neighbors who have a little girl who is a little older than L. (I still can't believe we were leaving L twice in one weekend! We usually only go out on dates maybe once every two months without her!)

But our kid is resilient. Our absence didn't phase her in the least. She is a happy and independent child too enamored by the world, her surroundings, and people to let things like mommy and daddy's departure bother her.

I drank coffee at the holiday open house and muffled my yawns. We were beat from the late night out before. The appetizers were out of the world, just like last year, and the deserts to die for. I left a few pounds heavier for certain.

And apparently everyone thinks I look huge for 31 weeks, which has me a bit concerned, seeing as I have two more months to go.

Right now I am actually the exact weight I was when I gave birth to L. Oh boy... it is inevitable I am going to put on more. I hope this boy isn't too big. Yikes! I better watch my holiday indulgence this year and stay away from medium-sized pizzas.

5 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

I think you look great! Everyone always thinks women look big, except other mothers who've been there, and I'm telling you, you look GREAT!

There may be something to weight gain boys v. girls, however. I gained 75 with Jack. 45 with Pickles.

That whole gain 20-25 pounds requirement was never going to happen with me. I really tried to focus the second time around, and was proud about the 45. I could still walk a few miles at 8 1/2 months. That was my goal.
I'm a pre-birth water gainer. Woo-boy! I almost had my nose pop off my face the day I went in to have Jack. That much water!

Both kids are healthy, so there ya go.

Big hug to you, and way to go, L! Makes me want to find a sitter and hit some parties, except I wouldn't have a thing to wear.

Holly said...

Hi Sarah! It's so good to hear that you're doing well, and I think you look great, too. : ) And your weekend sounds like it was a blast. I love to people watch, too, and I can just imagine how much fun that was. Did you take anything home from the party, like a napkin, or a glass or something? It's fun to steal things from fancy places. : ) Even Barbara Walters does it, so if that doesn't make it ok, I don't know what does. hee hee.

Anyhoo, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself and I'm looking forward to catching up on the posts I missed while I was away. : )

Firefly said...

Right, go for the small pizzas. They're tasty and filling. :) That's great you had two parties to attend, thats the way to pull off a weekend, especially if you can get away with leaving the daughter alone for a few hours.

You look great in that pic! (and apparently I wasn't having an original thought there,lol. it must be true!)

klk said...

I was thinking that you look FABULOUS before I even read your post. It's typical to get bigger, faster with the second. But you look great and enjoy it. I'm still so happy you are having a boy. A little brother seems like a very cool thing.

fineartist said...

You are STUNNING!