Also referred to as ECS, it is the absence of electrical activity in the brain measured by an electroencephalogram, indicating cerebral death.
What a concept. To have your physical being alive, yet the very control center that makes you function as who you are, dead.
The book I'm reading right now has me captivated with the legal, moral, ethical and personal issues surrounding brain death, persistent vegetative state (PVS), and the right-to-die. Heavy stuff.
It has also brought to my attention the profound advances we have made in medical technologically in such a short amount of time. Issues that didn't exist 100 years ago are now something we have to grapple with today.
Anyway, just stuff on the brain that I thought I'd share.
And I kind of like the term electrocerebral silence, when taken away from its grave meaning. It actually sounds peaceful. Like emptying your mind and inducing a deep state of calm. Sounds like it could be the name of a new age band. Of course it probably never will be due to its innately serious meaning.
***
In terms of my brain, something strange happened last Sunday...
I've hesitated to bring it up, think about or write about it, which is why it's six days later and I'm just mentioning it.
It was pretty scary.
Steven and I and little L were in Costco getting some holiday gifts for staff at Steven's job. I'm pretty close to some of the people Steven works with... two personally babysit L on occasion. I visit the office enough to know everyone by name and have a conversation about the basics of their lives.
Well, Sunday in the store, as we were walking down the aisle considering gifts, Steven turns to me and says, "What do you think about this gift for Angie?"
I'll be damned. What happened next was beyond weird. It was scary.
Me: "Angie? Who's Angie?" (I know damn well who Angie is - but for some strange reason I didn't at that time.)
Him: "Angie! The one who watches L for us! Angie and Mark!?"
Me: [Blank Stare]
Him: "What about Janice?" (Another co-worker who I know well)
Me: "Janice?" "Who's that?"
Him: "Janice at the front desk." (You can tell Steven was thrown and didn't know what to make of this.)
I started getting scared... I ask him to ask me questions. Our old address in Connecticut, my mom's birthday, and other facts of the like. I got all the long-term stuff down fine, but there were a couple questions I couldn't answer: "What's the name of the class you're taking this semester?" and "What is your professor's name?"
It didn't go away suddenly. I don't even know when this went away. Probably because I dwelled obsessively on the names thereafter, trying to rekindle the necessary familiarity they were supposed to evoke. Steven assured me everything was fine and I was probably just having a brain fart. But I've had brain farts before and this was something of a different breed.... something much scarier.
It hasn't happened again since but it has definitely stayed with me. Scared the living crap out of me.
7 comments:
Dude, it's TOTALLY the pregnancy. The only reason I remember where and what the toilet was when I was preggo was because my butt was pretty much permanently affixed to it. Don't stress.
That was my thought too, the baby is draining you.but, it's best to ask you doctor to be sure.
wow...that's totally scary.
defintely best to mention the next time you see the doctor!
Yikes, S! That is scaring me. I don't know. I think it could be the pregnancy. Definitely talk to your O.B./midwife and possibly another dr. I'm a firm believer in getting any psychological issues out of the closet before they progress. Not to scare you...I just have been in that weird place. I'm sure it's the pregnancy though. But don't overlook it!
Oh thats horribly scary, I'm with you! There's some memory vitamins to take, but yes the doctor does sound like someone to go see on this. There's also a new PSP game to test your brain and keep you sharp, but then you have to get a PSP
I can finally comment, blogger likes me again, or I'm living right, or this is a figmant of my imagination via percocet, whatever, I'm tickled I can comment.
Okay hon, do take note if the memory thing happens again and be sure to talk to your doctor about it. It's probably nothing to fear but always be cautious with your health.
xx, Lori
It was probably just a little dip in your estrogen levels, sweetie. It happens to me all the time (perimenopause - ugh!) No worries, and lots of hugs!
Post a Comment